Happy 8th annual Dump the Pump Day! Sponsored by the American Public Transportation Association (APTA), this nationwide event encourages people to ride the bus, carpool, vanpool, walk, or cycle instead of driving alone. Dumping the pump all together could potentially save you thousands of dollars, but even small changes to your daily commute can yield huge results. Carpooling, walking, even teleworking one day a week will reduce greenhouse gases and save you money on gas.
Intercity Transit is celebrating dumping the pump by hosting a number of community events, complete with food, music, information and giveaways. Learn more about Intercity Transits dump the pump events.
Dump the Pump Facts:
(From the American Public Transportation Association)
- According to APTA’s Transit Saving Report, a two-person household can save, on the average, more than $9,700 a year by downsizing to one car.
- The latest research shows that in 2011, U.S. public transportation use saved 865 million hours in travel time and 450 million gallons of fuel in 498 urban areas.
- Public transportation use in the United States reduces our nation’s carbon emissions by 37 million metric tons annually. This is equivalent to Washington, DC; New York City; Atlanta; Denver; and Los Angeles combined stopping using electricity.
- Public transportation use in the United States saves 4.2 billion gallons of gasoline annually.
- Public transportation provides personal mobility and freedom for people from every walk of life.
Learn more about National Dump the Pump Day by checking out the American Public Transportation Association’s Dump the Pump Day Toolkit